The Christchurch Boys High School Memorial was originally built in 1926 to commemorate the 142 old boys killed in WW1. The listed historical building was damaged in the 2011 earthquakes, and required repairs and extensive seismic reinforcement and strengthening to be safe for use. The school raised the funds from Old Boys to complete both the repair and seismic upgrade.
The team consists of an Engineer, Stonemason, Project Manager and Heritage Consultant all working to achieve this goal with no original detailed drawings. Returning the appearance to the original state has proved to be a challenging project due to historical and craftsman requirements.
Initially there was a partial deconstruction undertaken and concealed seismic strengthening installed. 50mm holes core drilled to three metres inside walls, with high tensile reinforcing installed to connect structure and provide seismic resilience. A rebuild was then launched to return the memorial to its original appearance where every stone was labelled and replaced back in the original position.
Currently the memorial is 70% complete with six weeks until ANZAC day and a planned opening at the school dawn service.